By Angela Wittman
If there be therefore any consolation in Christ, if any comfort of love, if any fellowship of the Spirit, if any bowels and mercies, 2 fulfil ye my joy, that ye be likeminded, having the same love, being of one accord, of one mind. 3 Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves.
Philippians 2: 1-3 AKJV
This morning I am reminded of the humility and meekness of our Lord who became man, was born in a manger, had no place to lay his head and who washed the disciples feet before facing the ultimate humility of dying on the cross to save His people from their sins. And yet, I fear the virtues of meekness and humility are becoming lost in American Christianity.
In just the last few years we've seen Christian celebrities go down in blazes due to scandals; some of the names that come to my mind are Mark Driscoll, Doug Phillips, Bill Gothard and most recently the Duggars' family. I suspect that many, if not all, of these folks thought they were being a light for Christ and their fame was a means to further the Gospel. Instead they became ensnared in sin and brought shame to His Holy Name. How did this happen? I suspect they (perhaps unknowingly) chose publicity and sensationalism over the humble way of the cross.
Scripture tells us the heart is deceitful and asks who can know it? So, let us take a few minutes to do a heart check and see if we are truly walking in the spirit or if we have become vainglorious and seek the approval of men instead of seeking the Kingdom and approval of our Master.
Here are some Scriptures from Bible Gateway (KJV) on meekness that you might find helpful as you seek to cultivate a meek and humble spirit:
- (Now the man Moses was very meek, above all the men which were upon the face of the earth.) - Numbers 12:3
- The meek shall eat and be satisfied: they shall praise the Lord that seek him: your heart shall live for ever. - Psalm 22:26
- The meek will he guide in judgment: and the meek will he teach his way. - Psalm 25:9
- Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth. - Matthew 5:5
- Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. - Matthew 11:29
- Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law. - Galatians 5:23
- But thou, O man of God, flee these things; and follow after righteousness, godliness, faith, love, patience, meekness. - 1 Timothy 6:11
- But let it be the hidden man of the heart, in that which is not corruptible, even the ornament of a meek and quiet spirit, which is in the sight of God of great price. - 1 Peter 3:4
- Who is a wise man and endued with knowledge among you? let him shew out of a good conversation his works with meekness of wisdom. - James 3:13
Show us the way of the cross is one of kindness, humility and meekness. Guard our hearts from becoming ensnared with vainglory and puffed up with pride. Lead us in the way that is everlasting and teach us to love and seek the good of others before that of ourselves.
Lord, forgive our sin of looking to man for approval and seeking the spotlight instead of being humble servants pointing others to you.
Lord, give us new hearts and make us more like You.
In Lord Jesus' Name I pray, amen.